It is summertime and you are finally ready to take on a good well-deserved vacation. You have finally freed up some space on your phone and are probably just ready for the limitless photo opportunities. But, is your smile also ready to steal the show?
Wherever you go this summer, remember that your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you. That is why the state of your teeth is a big contributor to your overall confidence.
Any diet that is high in acidic food or drinks leads to a weakening of the enamel which makes it more more likely to get stained and discolored. In addition, acid leads to the wearing away of your tooth enamel. The worn areas of your tooth expose the dentin, which is also yellow in color and adds to the dullness of your smile.
Here are a few things you can do yourself to keep a bright and healthy smile and prevent dental diseases and discoloration.
- One of the easiest things you can do to have good oral health is to brush your teeth regularly, meaning at least twice a day, preferably after each meal; the mechanical motion of brushing your teeth helps you remove plaque.
- Flossing and brushing go hand-in-hand. This helps you keep your teeth and gums healthy. Using a rubbing motion, go gently between each tooth and make sure that you also go under the gum line. So, floss after every meal, and snack, to prevent build-ups.
- Rinsing with a good mouthwash also goes hand-in-hand with brushing your teeth and flossing. Rinsing with a mouthwash that could be either diluted hydrogen peroxide or fluoride based gives you an extra support when trying to remove bacteria, or strengthen your teeth and prevent cavities.
- Healthy eating also plays a major role when it comes to your smile. Avoid consuming foods and beverages that cause stain. Blueberries, cherries, blackberries are popular fruits during the summer, but try rinsing your mouth with water after you snack on them. The same goes for coffee, iced tea, red or white wine, and fruity juices. One way you can consume those drinks is either by using a straw, or by having a glass of water and rinsing your mouth regularly.
- The best help you can get for a healthy and white smile would be to visit a dental specialist for professional cleaning and whitening treatments.
Feel free to contact Drs. Ali & Ali and their newest addition to the team, Dr. Zarah Ali, if you have any thoughts or concerns. The caring team at Wellesley Dental Group will be happy to answer your questions! Contact us today at 781-237-9071 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment and consultation.
Your little ones and teens are welcome to visit our pediatric dentist Dr. Van. Dr. Emad is happy to help with your orthodontic needs. For wisdom teeth extractions or any other periodontal or oral surgery needs, Dr. Ghazi would be more than willing to help.