A Glass of Orange Juice First Thing in the Morning Can Be Bittersweet

Posted by on Mar 3, 2014 in Blogs | 5 comments

girl drinkingHave you ever rushed down to breakfast and had a glass of orange juice immediately after brushing your teeth? If so, you have probably experienced the distastefulness that lingers within your mouth for quite some time. The natural sweet flavor of orange juice is transformed into a bitter nightmare!

Our mouth contains with approximately 10,000 taste buds, which act as chemical sensors that perceive sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami taste types. On average, toothpaste is primarily composed of water, plaque-fighting abrasives, fluoride, and detergent. The compound Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a common and strong cleaning detergent found within toothpastes. Aside from producing the foam that forms when brushing, SLS also affects are taste buds. SLS restrains the sweet receptors and phospholipids found within our mouths. This allows bitter molecules to bind to bitter receptors, causing the pucker in our lips from the unappetizing taste.

Although Fruit juices like orange juice contain healthy vitamins and antioxidants, it is important to remember that they can harm your teeth in different ways. People often substitute sugary fruit juices in for sodas, which can be a detrimental choice. Fruit juices often contain plenty of sugar and acids. The enamel on your teeth can deteriorate by these acidic beverages and should therefore not be consumed excessively. According to a study conducted at the Eastman Institute for Oral Health at the University of Rochester Medical Center, orange juice increased the roughness of tooth enamel and decreased the stability of teeth, leaving one prone to more plaque and cavities. It was also discovered that in comparison to individuals who drink quickly, the longer you take sipping on an acidic or sugary beverage, the more damaged your teeth will become. Be sure to limit your consumption of fruit juices and practice healthy oral hygiene!

Feel free to contact Drs. Ali & Ali and the caring team at Wellesley Dental Group if you have any thoughts or concerns; they will be happy to answer your questions! Contact us today at 781-237-9071 or smile@wellesleydentalgroup.com to set up an appointment and consultation. Your little ones and teens are welcome to visit our pediatric dentist Dr. Kim or Dr.PradhanDr. Emad is happy to help with your orthodontic needs. For wisdom teeth extractions or any other oral surgery needs Dr. Ghazi would be more than willing to help.

 

References:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090630132007.htm

http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/ADA/2013/article/ADA-06-why-the-pucker-with-your-morning.cvsp

http://www.med-health.net/images/90400573/image001.jpg

5 Comments

  1. Thank you, we are here for you!

  2. Good site you have got here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like
    yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!

  3. Thank you for the feedback! Glad we can provide helpful information!

  4. Thanks for sharing the article, these dental care tips are really helpful and easy to follow. we must be aware of these minor mistake and take precaution to protect our teeth.

  5. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that will make the biggest changes.

    Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *