A: HARD FOODS may do damage by bending wires, loosening cement under the bands or breaking the little brackets and tubes which are attached.
STICKY AND/OR CHEWY FOODS damage braces by bending wires and pulling cement loose.
FOOD RICH IN SUGAR CONTENT should be avoided whenever possible. If you eat any of them, brush your teeth immediately. If it’s not convenient to brush, always rinse your mouth with clear water after eating very sweet food such as cake or pie.
1. Popcorn, Nuts, Peanut Brittle.
2. Ice (not even if you’re careful).
3. Lemons (pure lemon juice can hurt your tooth enamel).
4. Corn-on-the-cob (cut it off the cob).
5. Corn chips, crisp taco shells, corn nuts, sunflower seeds in the shell.
6. Taffy, Caramels, Starburst, Now-N-Later
7. Jolly Ranchers, fruit chews, beef jerky. etc.
8. Bubble Gum – a thousand times NO!
9. Pizza Crust (the hard outer edge)
Of course, if you have the Invisalign® system, you’re able to remove the aligners prior to eating. That’s great news if you LOVE popcorn!