Labor Day is typically viewed as a day of rest as many businesses, schools, and federal organizations are closed. Labor day also represents the end of summer or start of the back-to-school season for many individuals, and is often celebrated with parades, picnics, fireworks, and other fun events.
The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated in 1882, in New York City, and was promoted by the Central Labor Union. The celebration was accompanied with a street parade and speeches from leading women and men in the work field. With the expansion of labor organizations, the holiday began to spread across the states until eventually becoming a federal holiday in 1894. However, even after more than 100 years, it is still not clear as to who first suggested this holiday. Some people believe that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was the founder of Labor Day. Others believe that Matthew Maguire, secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York, first introduced the holiday.
Here are a few healthy Labor Day treats:
If you’re near the Boston area, here’s a few cool events that you and your family may enjoy:
– Oysters & Craft Brews Cruise: Sip & Slurp – Karma Crew Yacht Charters, Boston Harbor
– Boston Harbor Island Cruise: History, Mysteries, and More – Departs from Rowes Wharf on a 1920s-style mini-yacht
– All-Day Paintball Pass (deep discount) – Paintball facilities in Bridgewater, Bourne, and Agawam, MA
– Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse
– Boston Duck Tours from Museum of Science
– Book of Mormon at Colonial Theatre
– Boston’s Unscripted Musical Project – Catalyst Comedy at Button Factory
– The Donkey Show at Oberon, Cambridge
– Tall Ship Adirondack III – Day sail around Boston Harbor
– All Access Improv at ImprovBoston in Cambridge
– Charles River & Locks Cruise
Feel free to contact Drs. Ali & Ali and the caring team at Wellesley Dental Group if you have any thoughts or concerns; they will be happy to answer your questions! Contact us today at 781-237-9071 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment and consultation.
Your little ones and teens are welcome to visit our pediatric dentist Dr. Van. Dr. Emad is happy to help with your orthodontic needs. For wisdom teeth extractions or any other oral surgery needs Dr. Ghazi would be more than willing to help.